Sunday, September 12, 2010

Allotment Gardens

I just returned to Copenhagen after a week's visit to Stockholm, where I met with the Swedish Environmental Research Institute, IVL. I will be collaborating with IVL on several projects over the course of my Valle research visit. The main project will involve a cost/benefit analysis of urban stormwater systems. I will be looking at different regional patterns of stormwater storage in the built environment, including: green roofs and facades, park ponds and reservoirs, storage tanks built into large public buildings, more elaborate small-scale sewage treatment systems (living machines), and perhaps a project that utilizes public rights of way for stormwater treatment or storage. If anyone has any ideas of another pattern or example that I should be considering please let me know!

This trip was my first visit to Stockholm, and I was able to take some time to explore the city. One of my favorite parts of the city were the allotment gardens in Södermalm. These allotments were originally garden plots given out to the poorest families in Stockholm during WWI. The city was on the verge of starvation, and the plots allowed people to cultivate their own food within the city. There are currently over 100 plots, and they are usually passed down in the family. The plots are small, and most have a garden shed or small shelter, but are not meant to be lived in.


At the end of my Stockholm visit my camera stopped working, so my next posts may involve some creative visuals until I can find a replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment