Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm here!

I've finally arrived in Copenhagen! I am getting settled into my new apartment, which I will be sharing with Natalie Gulsrud, UW Evan's School alum, and current Ph. D candidate here at the University of Copenhagen. Our apartment is on a quiet corner without much traffic.




I am living in Christianshavn, a small man-made island near the center of Copenhagen. Christianshavn is connected to central Copenhagen via Knippelsbro, the bridge across the main canal. From the apartment I have a view of the old ramparts that line the island, which were part of the original fortification for the city dating back to the 1600's. The ramparts now contain a series of walking paths which zigzag around the edge of the island, and through Christiania. I will be enjoying some great runs on these paths for sure!




The other side of our apartment opens out onto a great central courtyard, which is shared by all of the neighboring buildings. People can use the courtyard for picnics, bike storage, and as a safe place for small children to play that is visible from almost every parent's kitchen window. The courtyard also serves as laundry access and a shared recycling station for the neighboring buildings.


No comments:

Post a Comment